Key Personality Traits of the 7
- Always on the go
- Wide range of interests
- Childlike enthusiasm and energy
- Curious, sparkling eyes
- Many ongoing professional and creative projects
- Upbeat and optimistic; glass-half-full outlook
- Well-liked and popular among peers
Sevens are defined by their desire to experience everything life has to offer while avoiding pain and boredom. They appear to others to be lively, fun-loving and hedonistic.
Sevens are often very busy people who bounce from one activity to another in their quest to squeeze every possible bit of enjoyment out of life.
Deepest Fear: Sevens fear getting stuck in a rut and missing out on the good life. They cope with this fear by constantly seeking out exciting, novel, and fun experiences.
Core Motivations: More than anything, Sevens want to avoid feeling bored, sad or uninspired.
How Rare are Enneagram 7s?
- In a Truity study of more than 54,000 respondents, Type Sevens were found to make up approximately 9% of the population; 9% of women and 8% of men.
Enneagram Type 7 In Depth
Wide-eyed and filled to the brim with endless energy, Enthusiasts are the playful and busy optimists of the world.
Their relentless curiosity for new information and experiences play into their (often impressive) stories and gift for gab. At the end of a workday, their minds are often still buzzing with new ideas to explore.
They’re charming storytellers with a passion for many different hobbies, and see the glass as half full. Bright and expressive, Enthusiasts see the world as their playground and can be considered the ‘eternal children’ of the Enneagram.
Sevens seek pleasure and excitement as a way to distract from the darker, more painful aspects of life. They belong to the “head-based” triad of the Enneagram, along with Types Five and Six.
Unlike the Six, who face fear in a straightforward way, Sevens are motivated to repress and ignore fears in favor of positive experiences. On the outside, this thrill-seeking type may appear fearless, but it is when Sevens learn to embrace their fears that they truly grow.
Upbeat and optimistic, Sevens can easily reframe negative emotions into positive ones. Internally, they downplay negative experiences and look for silver linings. When healthy, Sevens are extremely uplifting and inspiring people. When less healthy, this type may show up as out-of-touch with reality, or even narcissistic.
Sevens are often very imaginative and creative. They excel in coming up with new ideas and initiating experiences. However, they can struggle with focus and self-discipline.
Enneagram 7 Wings
7w6: The Seven wing Six is a Seven that resembles a Six in some ways. This type is generally more disciplined and skeptical than other Sevens. They are productive, loyal, and tend to be strong leaders during times of crisis. Common careers for the 7w6 include tour guide, pilot, detective, journalist and travel agent.
7w8: The Seven wing Eight is a Seven that shares many of the same qualities as the Type Eight. The 7w8 typically appears tougher and more career-driven than other Sevens. The Seven wing Eight is confident, assertive, and encouraging. Popular careers for 7w8s include motivational speaking, law enforcement, television news, sales and management.
Core Values of Enneagram 7s
- Flexibility, happiness and novelty. Variety is the Enthusiast’s bread (not spice!) of life.
- Enthusiasts seek out eye-opening experiences and sensations — to take in and see the value and meaning in everything.
- Open-mindedness paired with a non-judgmental attitude is what makes the Enthusiast tick. They believe each person should be given the chance to explore all they possibly can; each moment has its beauty, as long as you look carefully enough.
How to Recognize an Enneagram 7
Whimsical and free-spirited, Enthusiasts experience life with bright eyes and an open mind. With an impressively wide and far-reaching collection of talents and interests, they have active imaginations that soar and shine when gifted with new and exciting opportunities.
At work, they are highly productive and get along well with others. They tend to climb the corporate ladder fairly easily and become a favorite in the lunchroom.
With an infinite number of topics to talk about, their natural charisma draws in even the shyest of individuals. When faced with change, they strut forward with pride and boldly traverse through the unknown.
Healthy vs. Unhealthy Enneagram 7s
When they are healthy, Sevens see connections between their areas of interest and expertise, and are able to focus their energy wisely in ventures that benefit something greater than themselves. Through every experience, they can see the lessons learned and be grateful for everything that passes: the good and the bad. They can manage the method to their madness with finesse and inspire others in the process. Their positive energy is infectious, combined with their curiosity for learning and open-mindedness—it’s a triple threat. Better yet, they’re able to perfect their work-life balance while still making time to embark on new journeys and keep their personal happiness tanks full.
When they are average, Sevens throw themselves in a slew of constant activity and constantly seek the next ‘high’. They’re fun, busy and all-around spontaneous individuals. They combat their stress with a growing list of fun projects to undertake. They’re adrenaline junkies whose habits may spiral into serious addictions if this scattered energy is mismanaged. Future-oriented and almost always excited for something, Enthusiasts rewrite their life to maximize happiness and minimize, or even deny, pain. To do so, they plunge head-first into various forms of escapism: everything from reading, movies, exercise and romance to alcohol, psychedelics and the like.
When they are unhealthy, Sevens become burnt out, cynical, and overly critical of the seemingly illogical systems that surround them. Minute issues with others become highly irritating, and everything suddenly becomes a nuisance. They may also become overwhelmingly narcissistic in their actions and presentation: flashy and exuberant. In the worst case, Enthusiasts begin to feel like they’ll never fully understand what they’re truly seeking out of life. Jumping from place to place, or person to person, Enthusiasts lose a sense of groundedness and may appear to live in a perpetual fantasy world instead of reality. When they realize the made-up world is only an illusion, they lose control over their mood and tumble into extreme emotional highs and lows.
Growth Tips for Enneatype 7s
- Slow down and experience the moment. Sevens like to stay busy to distract themselves from feelings of discomfort. Because of this, they may not allow enough time to relax and be present.
- Learn to see the value of pain. Sevens grow when they learn to see that there is beauty in darkness. Painful emotions aren’t necessarily “bad.” When you feel the need to distract yourself from pain, stop and check in with yourself and how you actually feel.
- Be willing to go deep. When Sevens share their authentic self with the world, they can form deep and meaningful relationships. But if you aren’t willing to go below the surface, then your relationships will never be more than surface-level. Allow yourself to be vulnerable and have hard conversations when necessary.
- Get comfortable with solitude. Sevens tend to be extraverted and attracted to experiences that offer large amounts of sensory stimulation. But the more time you spend with yourself, the more self-aware you become.
- Practice active listening. Rather than listening to other people with intent to respond, practice listening to understand. Not every statement needs an immediate response. Take time to consider what other people are saying and focus on crafting more thoughtful and empathetic responses.
Famous Enneagram Type 7s
- Elton John
- John F. Kennedy
- Miley Cyrus
- Britney Spears
- Russell Brand
- Katy Perry
- Tiffany Haddish
- Sacha Baron Cohen
- Robin Williams
- Jim Carrey
- Cameron Diaz
- Eddie Murphy
- Richard Branson
- Steven Spielberg
- Conan O'Brien
- Andy Samberg
- Ted Danson
- Elizabeth Taylor
- Lil Nas X
- “Peter Pan” (Peter Pan)
- “Fred & George Weasley” (Harry Potter)
- “Detective Jake Peralta” (Brooklyn 99)
- “Eleanor Shellstrop” (The Good Place)
- “Eddie Winslow” (Family Matters)
- “Mindy Lahiri” (The Mindy Project)
- “Moana” (Moana)
Type 7s in Relationships
Enneagram Type Sevens are fun and enthusiastic romantic partners, and they tend to be independent as well as creative in terms of planning for adventures, working on a number of projects with speed and talent, and keeping their spouse and themselves entertained. However, in this frenzy, they tend to miss details. They also tend to deny their anxiousness, which causes them to skip anything that isn’t easy. It can also cause them to“overdo” and to be selfish in getting their needs met first. And let’s face it: it can be hard for a less energized type to keep up with the pace of this extraversion, since Sevens are almost always keeping their minds and bodies extraordinarily busy!
However, what goes up must come down and eventually, a Seven in a relationship will have to do the work that it takes to keep a relationship afloat, whether that means contributing to a savings fund, slowing down and doing chores, or facing the actual anxiety that lies beneath their joy and fun. This is no simple process, considering their spouses also often expect them to carry the joy into their relationship. However, as with all processes, there must be a balance and a titration of one’s gifts with one’s virtues, which, in the case of Seven, are joyful exuberance and sobriety in turn.
Sevens do well to slow down a few paces each day, to work on some lower intensity workouts, to monitor food portions, to say “no” more, and to rest, at least for a little while every day. They also do well to slow their thoughts down by journaling with a pen and paper and taking a walk (not running) with their spouse to talk out issues with less anxiety. A mature Seven also enjoys spiritual time where they can release stress to a higher power or turn to meditation.
Additionally, a mature Seven can find peace and rest by allowing life’s plans to unfold instead of theirs, even if it feels boring or painful. This process may even help them to realize slowing down and living with moderation instead of gluttony will take care of a fair amount of the relationship pain they were running from. In marriage, they can also work on self-soothing behaviors so they can listen better.
If you love a Seven, be a gentle reminder to them that acknowledging their emotional pain will not kill them, but that it is a necessary and cathartic part of life, one that will actually save them from their overdoing it in the long run. Gently offer your Seven freedom, time and space to do this processing alone and they will increasingly step away from their own wild planning and choose to love you time and again with much loyalty and depth.
Though it may not seem as though their joy ever has a landing place, it does, and it’s very helpful for them to have a safe place with you to rest as well as to process deeply buried anxious feelings. It also helps if you can stay a little while to help them feel safe to crack open some actual emotions besides joy or anger and admit to sadness and anxiety. Also, to realize that these things too, have an end, can be worked on, and of course - as they will see for themselves - that joy will always return, even if it looks different across seasons.
Enneagram Relationship content was co-developed with marital therapist turned relationship coach Christa Hardin (MA).
Type 7 Relationship Compatibility by Partner Type
Type Sevens with Type Ones: Tend to be both fun and responsible. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 1 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Twos: Tend to be both fun and exuberant. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 2 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Threes: Tend to be both passionate and goal-driven. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 3 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Fours: Tend to be both fun and creative. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 4 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Fives: Tend to be both inspired and innovative. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 5 couple pairing guide
- Type Sevens with Type Sixes: Tend to be both fun and practical. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 6 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Sevens: Tend to be both creative and idealistic. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 7 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Eights: Tend to be both energized and passionate. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 8 couple pairing guide.
- Type Sevens with Type Nines: Tend to be both passionate and peaceful. Click here to find the Type 7 & Type 9 couple pairing guide.