What are Beyoncé’s Enneagram and Myers-Briggs Personality Types?12 March 2021 / By Megan Malone Clinically Reviewed by Steven Melendy, PsyD. on March 12, 2021
Pop phenomenon. Unapologetic activist. Cultural demigod. Is there anything Beyoncé Knowles, can’t do? The soul-pop sensation has been in the spotlight ever since getting her start in the girl group Destiny’s Child when she was a teenager. Since then, her entertainment career has skyrocketed her to becoming one of the most famous celebrities of a generation.
We know so much about Beyoncé’s art and achievements, but when it comes to her personality, she remains a bit of an enigma. We’ve attempted to dig deep and analyze her observed behavior and motivations for more insight into her personality.
Based on our analysis, Queen Bey is likely an Enneagram Type 3 and an ISFJ personality type. Read on to learn more about her intriguing personality.
Typefinder Personality Type ISFJ: The Protector
ISFJs are methodical and industrious workers who value tradition and the well-being of others. Nurturing and kind, ISFJs tend to be guarded and rarely call attention to themselves. While it may seem surprising that someone as famous as Beyoncé would have traits similar to this introverted type, it also explains why so many people find her true personality to be such a mystery.
I / Introverted: Despite her fame, Beyoncé is rather reserved and enjoys her privacy. She’s known for being quiet about her personal life and has mentioned that if she could opt-out of some of the things that come with fame (like interviews and paparazzi) and simply focus on her art, she would. This behavior suggests that she is indeed an introvert.
S / Sensing: It’s hard to imagine Beyoncé would be the artist she is today if she wasn’t incredibly in tune with the sensory world. Apart from being an incredibly talented singer, actor and songwriter, Bey is also a fashion icon. She makes a statement wherever she goes.
F / Feeling: Generous and kind, Beyoncé has admitted to struggling with the need to people-please her entire life. She had to learn how to push back and stand up for herself in the competitive entertainment industry. Despite her career success, she is devoted to her family and friends, as well as to the many causes she champions, including the work she’s done for LGBTQ rights, feminism and the black community.
J / Judging: Focused, loyal and persistent, Beyoncé is likely a Judging personality type. She maintains an extremely controlled persona, and rarely exhibits spontaneous behaviors. She has even been called a “diva” because of her lack of ability to easily adapt when things don’t go as planned. Of her relationships, she’s said, “I've always been very loyal and a little more mature.”
Si / Introverted Sensing: Introverted Sensors tend to be focused, quiet and traditional. Beyoncé exhibits these traits in her professional and personal life. “I learned that my voice is clearer when I'm standing still. I really enjoy this time with my family, and my new goal is to slow down and get rid of the stressful things in my life,” the singer said.
Fe / Extraverted Feeling: Like other Extraverted Feeling types, Beyoncé tends to prioritize the needs of other people, especially those she cares for the most. She is fiercely protective of the people she loves. Her younger sister Solange said of the star, “I can’t tell you how many times in junior high school, how many boys and girls can say Beyoncé came and threatened to put some hands on them if they bothered me.”
Ti / Introverted Thinking: Introverted Thinking types value truth and precision. As her tertiary function, Beyoncé learned how to value her personal truths later in life. In a recent interview with Elle, she said, “The more I mature, the more I understand my value. I realized I had to take control of my work and my legacy because I wanted to be able to speak directly to my fans in an honest way. I wanted my words and my art to come directly from me. There were things in my career that I did because I didn’t understand that I could say no. We all have more power than we realize.”
Ne / Extraverted Intuition: Beyoncé is a Renaissance woman who manages to juggle many hats, including singer, actor and businesswoman, among others. Her Extraverted Intuition comes through in her creativity and willingness to take risks, which is something the singer says she learned to develop with age — primarily from her mother’s influence. “My mother instilled in me the idea that creativity starts with taking a leap of faith—telling your fears they are not allowed where you are headed,” she said.
More Facts About ISFJs:
- Makeup 14% of the population
- Among types most likely to believe in a higher spiritual power
- Personal values include Happy family, Health and Spirituality
- More likely than average to experience chronic pain
- Other famous ISFJs include Kate Middleton, Kim Kardashian and Mother Teresa
Enneagram Type 3: The Achiever
Charismatic, fashionable and always on-the-go, it’s no surprise that Beyoncé is the quintessential Enneagram Three. Type Threes strive to be successful and are motivated by admiration from others. Other famous Threes include Oprah Winfrey.
Enneagram 3: Inwardly
- Needs to control her image. Beyoncé maintains tight control over her image and reputation. In fact, she rarely does interviews unless she has a clear picture of the narrative. When she posed for the cover of Vogue she refused to do an interview — and penned an essay instead.
- Strive for self-improvement. "I approach my shows like an athlete," Beyoncé said. "You know how they sit down and watch whoever they’re going to play and study themselves? That’s how I treat this. I watch my performances, and I wish I could just enjoy them, but I see the light that was late. I see, ’Oh God, that hair did not work.’ Or ’I should never do that again.’ I try to perfect myself. I want to grow, and I’m always eager for new information."
- Refined taste. Threes are known for their taste in material things. Not only is Beyoncé a style icon, she even has her own fashion line, Ivy Park.
Enneagram 3: Outwardly
- Successful and achievement-oriented. Threes are hard workers, always going after the next big goal. When asked about her early career success, she said “I’ve sacrificed a lot of things, and I’ve worked harder than probably anyone I know, at least in the music industry. So I just have to remind myself that I deserve it."
- Resilient. Type Threes are known for their persistence toward achieving their goals, even when times are tough. Of her older sister, Solange Knowles said, “At age 10, when everybody else was ready to say, ’Okay, I’m tired, let’s take a break,’ she wanted to continue—to ace it and overcome it."
- Independent. Like most Threes, Beyoncé moves to the beat of her own drum. She’s not afraid to go after what she wants and doesn’t let other people tell her what to do.
With her Myers-Briggs and Enneagram types, Beyonce is friendly, career and family-oriented, and passionate about her art and making a positive difference in the world.
Jac (not verified) says...
So you're basing these "results" of this Black Woman's personality using a system created by a racist white woman??? Do better.
Tav (not verified) says...
What woman? The enneagram was invited by Russian philosopher G. I. Gurdjieff.
Josh123 (not verified) says...
Serenity Gay (not verified) says...
it so nice for you and i am a big fan of you